Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Turkey Meatballs with Florentine Macaroni and Cheese

Sounds like a strange combo right? I saw this episode of Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals and wanted to try it. My way of course! I did not think my husband would like this but he ended up loving it and even took the leftovers for lunch today. Both girls ate it up too! I was able to make the meatballs ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator and throw them in the oven along side the mac n cheese. This recipe is really versatile. As with all my recipes, let me know what you think and what changes you have made. I would love to get some feedback! I hope you like these as much as we do.

Turkey Meatballs

printer friendly version

In a large bowl combine with your hands until mixed well:

1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 small onion grated
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 egg
3/4 cups breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire
Salt and pepper

Roll into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven 30 - 40 minutes.

Florentine Macaroni and Cheese

In a small sauce pan melt:

4 tablespoons butter

Whisk until smooth:

4 tablespoons flour

Remove from heat and slowly whisk in:

2 cups milk

Return to low heat and continue to whisk until thickened. Add:

1/2 medium onion, minced
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1 box frozen spinach, thawed with all the water squeezed out

Let simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile prepare 1 box of small pasta shells as directed on package.

Have ready:

1 cup mozzarella, shredded
1 cup fontina, shredded (smoked fontina is delicious too!)
1/2 cup Parmesan

Add 1/2 of the cheese to sauce and stir until completely melted. Stir into pasta and pour into greased casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great pantry-staple recipe, too. I bet my picky husband would scarf it down. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete